Every Year hidden under the Christmas tree is that last little present that is soft and light, knowing full well it’s a pair of novelty socks with a reindeer on it, all of that excitement has left our souls for another year, the thing is we are always grateful and we know its the thought that counts but we only literally wear those novelty socks for one day as it doesn’t seem right walking around with a reindeer on your socks in spring and summer, there is still 364 days to wear more suitable socks.
So with that being said HERE @ BEN NEVIS CLOTHING we will always advise our customers to pay extra attention to the socks they wear as we have noticed over the last 50 years people on their feet will tend to research footwear but not so much their socks, and in our experience they are just as important as the footwear because not only do they help prevent the obvious blisters and friction but good quality socks are the first line of defense and protection to keeping your feet dry, warm and comfortable.
Great socks will be breathable and will have a type of temperature and moisture control by using wicking fabrics. When talking about great socks, Thorlo’s come highly recommended with every Hiker, Skier, Dog walker, runner, security, city walkers and workers sporting them throughout the years. The technology of engineered padded socks was invented by Jim Thorneburg in 1953 and founded Thorlo inc. in 1980, and we have sold them ever since with the best response and feedback.
Find the links below to check out the best of the best.
- Thorlos Mountaineering, Enjoying maximum protection in sub-zero weather, on all terrains including extreme summit conditions where foot protection is critical. Specifically engineered to deliver the maximum protection and comfort for any mountaineer prone to blisters, foot pain, or discomfort.
- Thorlos Ski, Providing a comfort fit for skiers on easy to varied terrain who wear rental boots to ensure maximum warmth, protection, comfort and best fit.
- Thorlos Trecking, Enjoying extended treks or backpacking with more comfort and foot protection, in all climates, on varied to difficult terrain above the timberline, where there is moderate to significant stress on the feet. Specifically engineered to provide maximum protection for trekkers prone to blisters, foot pain, or discomfort.
- Thorlos Hiking, Enjoying rugged day hikes or extended backpacking, in most weather conditions, on varied to difficult terrain resulting in moderate to significant stress on the feet. Specifically engineered to deliver maximum protection and comfort for any hiker prone to blisters, foot pain, or discomfort
- Thorlos Light Hiking, Enjoying day hikes in warmer weather, on flat to varied terrain resulting in low to moderate stress on the feet. Specifically engineered to provide protection and comfort for people prone to blisters, foot pain, or discomfort.
- Thorlos Ultra Light, Enjoying light day hikes and casual street wear. Recommended for hikers who have minor or no foot issues
- Thorlos Running, Enjoying a run in warmer weather or for any run where there is low stress on the feet. Specifically engineered to provide better protection from blisters, foot pain or discomfort. Recommended for runners who have minor or no foot issues.
Our Ethos is to support and love family run businesses as that’s what we are, so when we mention great socks next in the fold is HJ SOCKS which we also highly recommend as the Hall family have been selling socks way before our time, since 1882 in fact, with a huge variety of socks for every occasion with different fabrics such as wool blends and cottons which will suit every type of foot. We genuinely take our hats off to the HJ Sock Group who have developed these wonderful socks over the years and now have become the largest independent British sock company as part of the Pantherella International Group, Join the history with us and try their socks today.
- HJ Socks Soft Tops Original Cotton, Non-Elastic Top – has 3 unique relaxation panels (the ‘soft top’ that makes them soft top socks) that contract vertically and stay up all day without leaving marks on the legs or restricting circulation
- HJ Cotton Rich Sock Ribbed, Made from 98% cotton for comfort with a smooth toe-seam these socks look great in the office or while relaxing at home. As we all know the attention is in the detail and that is why the HJ Executive range has been designed with this in mind, using only the highest quality yarns (with this sock, 98% cotton) to provide you with day long comfort and style.
- HJ Cotton Boot Sock, For those wanting to combine style and function these Outdoor Boot Socks are perfect with their chunky casual look. They are cotton rich to keep your feet cool and have cushioned reinforced heel and toe to increase durability in easily worn areas. These HJ socks are suitable for a broad range of activities and are manufactured using high cotton blends for strength and comfort.
- HJ Premium Boot Sock Wool, These socks contain 56% wool providing you with a premium boot sock that also offers a specially engineered comfort toe seam to prevent abrasion and cushioned loops underfoot to offer impact protection and warmth.
- HJ Commando Sock, Commando are the first line of defence for your feet. Designed to exacting NATO defence standards they are the ultimate in hardwearing performance. Made from a wool rich yarn these socks are great for all outdoor pursuits providing both comfort and strength.
Other socks to consider which will keep you going on your daily endeavors are…
- Fruit Of The Loom Quarter Sock 3 Pack, Very Comfortable Sock that is great for the warmer temperatures. Fantastic Value and goes well with trainers.
- Highlander Dartmoor Merino Wool, The Dartmoor walking sock can be used either as a lightweight walking sock or on long treks over difficult terrain where a bulky sock could be inconvenient. Suitable for all year round use and contains a high proportion of Merino wool for warmth and comfort.
- Spiro S294X Technical Compression Sports Socks, Anatomically shaped with reinforcement for optimum protection and compression.
All of these socks will keep you comfortable, and will have the longevity needed to last you the rest of the year not just for Christmas 😀